Monday, March 11, 2013

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

Loved this book!  Definitly a 5 barbell rating.  I especially appreciated this book because it was set in the Pacific Northwest, where I was raised and on Orcas Island, where my husband and I spent our first year Anniversary.  Yeah!  This book grabs you from the get go.  Although the chapter time line was a bit confusing in the beginning but I got the hang of it.  Jake is the main character and after a horrific accident he loses his vocal cords.  The story takes you through his trials trying to communicate with his peers as well as the strange way people feel comfertable telling him things since he can never repeat it.  I thought the author did an excellent job of communicating for him through written notebooks.  I personally felt his frustration at writing so much and wanted to scream for him to learn sign language faster.  I can't imagine having to write everything down.  Jake's love interest, Sam, has her own issues to deal with and the story does a good job of teaching us that everyone has there trials and each impacts their life at a variety of levels...so before you get too depressed remember someone else could be worse off.  Really enjoyed the writing and the story.  Fell in love with Jake and his family.  Big 5 star recommendation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment