Sunday, January 6, 2013

Where You Are: by J.H. Trumble

After finishing Don't Let Me Go by the same author I immediately downloaded the second book.  Which by the way I loved.  I can't say if I prefered either one over the other, they were both great.  Again I can't express enough appreciation for the character development and dialogue that the author has, in my opinion perfected.  Such a smooth read and never a line that pulls you out of the story.  This story has two male Main characters in which the author gives us both points of view in the story.  That is a very difficult feat to pull off in a manuscript so kudos to you.  It is the story of a second year high school math teacher and a senior student.  I have to say that I did have an itch in the back of my mind while reading the book, about the love interest.  My being a teacher made the scenario a little close to home.  But for those aspiring writers out there if ever you wanted some steamy, against the grain subject matter for a book go no further than your local school.  Chaos ensues behind the staff room doors.  Anyway back to my review.  Seeing as I teach elementary, I seemed to have to keep reminding myself that the senior was mature and not some little kid.  The dialogue was mature and I am not sure why I kept slipping back to thinking he was too young. My issue not the writers.  Robert, the senior is dealing with a lot of personal turmoil, with a dad who is dying but never really a part of his life to begin with and Aunts that have invaded his home.  I wanted someone to wrap their arms around him and tell him it wasn't his fault. I enjoyed that aspect of the book a lot.  Andrew, the teacher, begins as a support for Robert and then their mentor/student relationship grows to another level.  The tension that they are going to get caught is well written and kept me reading.  I especially liked that the author pulled in characters from the previous book so it was like seeing how an old friend was doing.  As I said when I reviewed an early book with male characters, this author has a way of telling a story that makes the gender of the characters secondary.  It is the story I loved and the characters I felt for.  It didn't matter what the gender.  Great Read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment